The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company has announced its intentions to pay $5.2 billion in dividends to policyholders in 2017. This represents a decrease from the 2016 dividend payout of $400 million.
Breakdown of Dividends Paid to Policyholders
Northwestern reported the breakdown by product line:
- $4.4 billion to whole life policyholders. Northwestern didn't mention this specifically, but did note that 85% of the total dividend was going to whole life policy holders. This is a reduction of $400 million vs. last year.
- $360 million to disability insurance policyholders
- $165 million to term life insurance policyholders
- $110 million to variable life insurance policyholders
- $60 million to annuity policyholders
New Whole Life Dividend Interest Rate (Dividend Scale)
The whole life dividend scale for 2017 will decline to 5.00%. For 2016, it was 5.45%.
You can read the press release from Northwestern here.